1 2 3 | 5
MARSHFIELD SUN ANNUAL
JAN. 1901 SPECIAL EDITION Part 4
compilation copyright (c) 2005 by Marilee Miller
: NO COPYING OR DISTRIBUTION of this document without permission.
Text-only version, free copy, please go back to Sun Annual Part 1..
Part 4. #36= Sen. George P. Topping #37= Walter Sinclair # 38= R. H. Rosa
#39= Cranberry Culture #40= J. B. Dulley #41=. Lyons' sawmill. #42= J. S. Coke, Jr. #43= Wm. S. Chandler; Coos Bay Railroad #44= Coos County Coal. Spreckels' Interests
#45= Holland Bros. boat shop #46= Cloverdale Creamery #47= Patrick Hennessey
#48= Cooperative Investments #49= W. C. Chase
GEORGE P. TOPPING
Oregonians naturally feel an increased interest in the ambitions and
aspirations of a young man who was born and raised in their own state.
This fact, however, is not the only reason why he whose name heads this
article is so popular among those who know him. His name is a synonym
for all that is true and honorable in a man, a fellow citizen and a lawyer, and
few if any stand higher socially or morally in the estimation of his
neighbors and friends. Mr. Topping was born on a farm 17 miles from
Grants Pass in Josephine county, on the 15th day of August, 1871. He
received his preliminary education in the public schools of Grants Pass.
After quitting school he accepted the position of general agent in that
district for the Earl Fruit Company, of California. He remained in this
position until October, 1890, when he went into the fruit business for
himself. In 1891, Mr. Topping began reading law. In 1892 Mr. Topping
was elected school director and made chairman of the board. In June he
was elected justice of the peace, but after serving one year he was
compelled, on account of his business, to resign. In 1895 he disposed of his
business and removed to Coos county, locating in Bandon, and continuing
his study of law, and in 1897 was admitted to the bar. In 1896 Mr. Topping
was elected city recorder and has been re-elected three times. In 1898 he
was elected a member of the state legislature on the Republican ticket. In
1897 he was elected delegate to the grand lodge of Foresters, which met at
The Dalles, and in 1899 was elected delegate to the grand court, held in
Oregon City, at which meeting he was chosen supreme representative of
Oregon to the supreme court, held at Detroit, Mich. August 14, 1899. Mr.
Topping was married September 21, 1898, to Miss Amy Wilkins, of Coos
county. They have one child -- a girl. Mr. Topping affiliates with the
Masons, Workmen and Foresters.
There is probably no member of the legal profession better or more
favorably known throughout Coos county than is the subject of this sketch,
by reason of his long and intimate acquaintanceship with its leading men
and active participation in all matters of public import that have tended to
advance the interests of this section of the state. His enterprise and integrity
have made for him friends in all classes of society, and his name is a
synonym for honesty and industry. Walter Sinclair was born on the
nineteenth day of November, 1838, in Columbiana county, Ohio. He
received his preliminary education in the public schools of Columbiana and
the Union School in Highland county. He then accepted the position of
teacher in the Highland county public schools, and later taught for
[illegible] years in Clinton county. In November, 1861, Mr. Sinclair
enlisted in Company D, sixth Ohio Cavalry, which company later became
Company D, Eleventh Ohio Cavalry. On being mustered out in April, '65,
he removed to Wyoming and became engaged in the lumber business; but
later, being desirous of becoming a lawyer, Mr. Sinclair devoted his
evenings to the study of his chosen profession, and in 1882 was admitted to
the bar. In 1885 he removed to Oregon, locating in Coquille City, where he
again took up his chosen profession. Mr. Sinclair is a Republican in
politics, and in 1891 was a member of the Oregon state senate and is at
present serving his second term as deputy county attorney. Mr. Sinclair is a
Mason and a member of the Grand Army. Miss A. M. Sinclair, his
daughter, is at present attending St. Helen's Hall in Portland. In '95 he was
again married to Miss K. Stauff, of Coos county, Oregon.
R. H. ROSA
When making a review of the business interest, and incidentally the
business men of a city, it is always a pleasure to be able to associate the
names of early-timers with the progressive and prosperous business men of
the present time. It goes to show what push, energy, and enterprise will
accomplish. No better example of this can be shown in Coos county than
by referring to the subject of this sketch.
Ralph H. Rosa was born in New York in 1894 [sic?]. When but four years
old his parents removed to Grand Rapids, Mich., at which point he received
his preliminary education in the public schools. In 1863 he enlisted in the
Thirteenth Michigan battalion of light artillery. On being mustered out in
1864 he entered the Eastman Commercial College, from which institution
he graduated in 1865. In 1868 he removed to California, and two years
later to Oregon and homesteaded on Isthmus slough. In 1883 Mr. Rosa
embarked in the sawmill business building his mill just 2 1/4 miles from
Bandon. In 1896 his mill was destroyed by fire, and in 1898 was rebuilt. It
has a capacity of 12,000 feet per day, and is equipped with the latest
improved machinery. Mr. Rosa has a reserve of fine white cedar. He
employs 20 men in the mill and camp. Most of his output is shipped to San
Francisco. Mr. Rosa has been one of the main factors in the upbuilding of
Bandon, and has built some of the best business blocks in the town. Mr.
Rosa was married in 1877 to Miss Viola Lowe, of Coos county. They have
two boys and two girls. Mr. Rosa is a member of the Masons, K. of P.,
Foresters, and Grand Army.
Coos county is the home of the cultivation of the cranberries in Oregon,
a fact of importance but not generally known. The industry was first
established here some sixteen years ago by C. D. McFarlain [sic], formerly
of Sacramento, California, who has made a complete success of the
business and ships annually from his marshes on North slough some 2,000
bushels of this delicious fruit to San Francisco.
Since Mr. McFarlain's [sic] successful achievement a number of other
parties have embarked in this branch of industry, among them most notably
being Charles Getty, who has several acres of vines set out at his Sunny
Meadows farm on South slough. The location is an ideal one so situated
that the marshes can be easily flooded in case of frosty weather. Berries
from these bogs took the premium at the district fair held in Marshfield the
past year. They were exceptionally large, of a fine flavor, and handsome
J. B. DULLEY
No man in Coos county is held in higher regard by his many friends and
acquaintances and certainly no one is more deserving of such esteem, than
is J. B. Dulley, one of Coos county's oldest residents. His honor and worth
as a citizen and a public spirited man, have always been recognized, while
his business ability, coupled with his natural foresight and shrewdness, have
made him successful inmost of his undertakings. J. B. Dulley was born in
Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, June 30, 1834, where he received his preliminary
education in the public schools, and later attended the Bethany College in
Brook county, Virginia. In 1850 Mr. Dulley removed to San Francisco,
where he remained but a short while before coming to Oregon, where he
followed mining until 1854, when he came to Coos county and in 1861
became engaged in steamboating on Catchen [sic] slough and Coos river.
The following year he disposed of his steamboat and established a general
merchandise store at Sumner. Mr. Dulley was also the owner of the
townsite of Sumner, which he located on part of his 160-acre farm. In 1862
he sold his mercantile business and accepted a position with H. H. Luse,
and later with the S. O. Co., at Sumner, until they retired from business in
1894. In 1899 he removed to Coquille City. Mr. Dulley was a member of
the state legislature in 1875, and in 1855-6 was the first assessor of Coos
county. He was elected to his present position of county treasurer in June,
1900. Mr. Dulley was married in 1876 to Miss E. Higley, of Sumner. They
have a family of three girls and five boys.
LYON'S [sic] SAWMILL
One of the most complete and up-to-date sawmills in Coos county is
boasted on the banks of the Coquille river at Coquille City. It was just 15
years ago that the late J. A. Lyons bought this property from Binger
Hermann, at which time he had a capacity of 8,000 feet per day. Mr. Lyons
on taking over the plant at once increased the capacity to 20,000 feet, and
within the past two years, under the management of Mr. Perry, the
administrator, its capacity has been increased to 40,000 feet per day. This
mill has 400 feet of water frontage and sufficient dockage to load four
schooners at once. They employ between 50 and 60 men at their mill and
logging camps all the year around. They have 3,00 acres of good timber, all
of which is accessible to tide water. The machinery is all up to date, and
both the yards and mill are amply equipped for fighting fire. The Lyons
estate also runs one of the largest general merchandise stores in Coquille
City, and is under the direct management of Mr. Perry.
J. S. COKE, JR.
Among the representative members of the Coos county bar the name of
J. S. Coke, Jr. must be given a leading place, having, by virtue of natural
ability and practical training, attained a position in his profession which
many an older man might well be proud to occupy. Mr. Coke was born in
Morristown, Tenn., August 21, 1867. When but a lad his parents removed
to Oregon, locating in Coos county, where Mr. Coke received his
preliminary education in the public schools and later read law under J. W.
Bennett, of Marshfield, and Whalley, Strahan & Pipes, of Portland, where
he also entered the law department of the State University. In1892 he
returned to Marshfield and began the practice of his chosen profession. In
1896 he was elected City Attorney, which position he still holds. Mr.
Coke is also attorney for the C. B. R. & E. R. R. & N. Co.
He takes an active interest in politics, but has never sought political
office, preferring to devote his time to his law practice, and although a
Southerner by birth and reared a Democrat, he did not agree with his party
in its financial policy of 1896 and 1900, and when that party advocated
hauling down the American flag and surrendering the Phillippine islands at
the demand of an avowed enemy, he renounced his allegiance to his old
party and cast his ballot for McKinley and Roosevelt. Mr. Coke affiliates
with the I. O. O. F. and K. of P.
W. S. CHANDLER
Live, wide-awake, and progressive business men are what is wanted in
every community. Coos County has such an individual in the person of
W.S. Chandler, receiver for the United States court of the C. B. R..& E. R.
R. & N. Co. and manager of the Beaver Hill Coal Company. Mr. Chandler
is a cautious, shrewd business manager, and ever alert to the best interest of
his employers. While he has only resided in this section a few years, Mr.
Chandler is well versed in the greatness of the resources of this county and
has firm faith in the future progress and development of the county. The
prominent position he occupies leaves Coos County’s future as much in his
hands as any other single individual. His fair and honorable business
dealings has [sic] won for him the high esteem of the large number of
working men under his supervision and the community as well.
[ed. note: This edition carried two items on W. S. Chandler]
WM. S. CHANDLER. [subhead; bold] (pg 29-30)
Among the most highly respected and estimable citizens of Coos county
the name of William S. Chandler is always mentioned. A man of most
exemplary habits, of warm sympathies, and who is ever willing to extend
the hand of charity to any deserving cause or worthy individual, he has won
a reputation for honesty, probity and sobriety that no words of ours can add
to, and of which he is in every way deserving. Born in San Francisco on the
18th day of January, 1858, in 1878 he removed to Oregon, where he
followed mining until 1880, when he removed to Washington and later to
British Columbia, where he remained until 1899, when he came to Coos
county and took charge of the Beaver Hill mines. On December 18th, 1899,
he became general manager of the Coos county railroad. Both of these
positions he has filled with not only credit to himself, but to the benefit of
every property holder in the county. Mr. Chandler was married in 1882 to
Miss Nellie Irving, of British Columbia.
THE WHOLE AREA OF COOS COUNTY
UNDERLAID WITH COAL.
Three Distinct Basins -- 26 1/2 feet of Workable
Coal -- The Spreckels Extensive Interests.
Coal underlies nearly the whole area of Coos county. There are three
beds of coal lying in distinct basins and belong to what is known as the
Eocene formation. There are four seams, ranging in width from 2 1/2 feet
to 6 1/2 feet in thickness, the workable strata or productive stratas
aggregates 21 1/2 feet in width. The above are but brief statements of the
facts of one of Coos county's grandest resources and what has attracted
capitalists to this section by the scores, more particularly the past season,
and prospecting on a large scale, the most noted of which is that now being
carried on by the Beaver Hill Coal Company, under the supervision of W.
S. Chandler, a practical mining engineer, and whose opinion on mining
projects is authority wherever he is known, Mr. Chandler having
successfully operated several of the largest coal mines in British Columbia.
His company now have [sic] a diamond drill in operation and intend to go
down to a depth of 1000 feet. This work is being carried on in a thoroughly
practical manner, and if developments are satisfactory a genuine coal
excitement is in store for Coos. The J. D. Spreckels and Brothers
Company, of San Francisco, are the principal stockholders in the Beaver
Hill Coal Company, which institution has under bond 5,000 acres of timber
and coal land in these parts and located along the line of their railroad,
which is to be tested and devoleped [sic] in the near future. With the work
now going on at the Beaver Hill mine, it is the intention of the company to
have a production o f coal by the fall of 1901 of 500 tons per day which will
be carried to San Francisco by their own steamers.
A review of the leading industries of Marshfield would not be complete
without a description of the Holland Bros. Boat Building Company.
Established in Marshfield in 1894 by W. W. and P. B. Holland. Their first
gasoline launch was turned out in 1896, since then they have built and sold
four more, and are at present at work on another 40-foot launch. They have
also built quite a number of small row and sail boats, which on account of
the well known reputation this company enjoys for excellency of
workmanship and fair dealing they have had no trouble in disposing as soon
as built. They also keep on hand a limited number of pleasure boats, which
can be rented for a nominal sum either by the hour, day or week, also a fine
assortment of guns, fishing tackle, rods, seines, nets, etc., both for rent or
sale. Their building is 28 x 100 feet with 50 feet water front. A snap shot
of the interior of this place will appear in this issue.
W. W. Holland, the senior member of this firm, was born in coos
county, Oregon, in 1868. After finishing his education he worked in the
ship yards until 1894 when, in connection with his brother, P. B., he
established their present business. In 1897, leaving his brother in charge of
their business in Marshfield, he made a trip to Alaska, and located a ship
yard at Lake Bennett, where at an expense of $5,000 per month he built 60
scows and 100 small boats. In 1899 he sold out and returned to Marshfield
and has since then devoted his entire time to the Marshfield business.
Coos county, Oregon, has become famous throughout Oregon and
California for the excellency of its butter. Not only does it produce more
butter than any other county in Oregon, but on account of its purity and
exceptional fine flavor it commands a higher price in the markets today than
any other butter manufactured in the state. Amongst those who have made
Coos county's butter famous may be mentioned Mr. F. Thomson, operator
and owner of the Cloverdale Creamery, which is situated on the banks of
the Coquille river, about four miles above the county seat, and is one of the
best equipped and managed creameries in the county. This creamery has a
capacity of 700 pounds per hour, and was started May 1, 1900. Only the
most approved methods are employed, and the output so far this season has
been 8,000 pounds, all of which has been shipped to San Francisco. Mr.
Thomson is one of Coos county's most progressive citizens, and is always
found amongst those who are not only willing to boost their own individual
interests, but one willing to put their shoulders to the wheel and assist in
turning it for the interest of their county, and it is today owing to just such
men as he that Coos county is making such rapid strides both in wealth and
Self-made men are a scarcity in most communities, yet we have many in
Coos county who are making their mark in the world. Among the number
is Patrick Hennessey, superintendent of the Oregon Coal & Navigation
Company's coal mines at Libby. Mr. Hennessey came to these parts some
15 years ago and accepted a position as a miner in these mines. He was
determined to get to the front, and by constant attention to duty and
faithfulness to his employers, Mr. Hennessey gradually ascended the ladder
until he occupies the present important position. His company employs
upwards of 200 men at their mines; they also operate three miles of railroad
to carry their coal to their bunkers on Coos bay, cuts of which will be seen
elsewhere in this issue. In the past three years this company has opened up
a new mine that is noted as a dividend payer, And the work was done
entirely under the supervision of the present superintendent.
Mr. Hennessey is thoroughly alive to the best interests of Coos county
and is one of her prominent and progressive citizens.
This is the Best and Safest Plan of
Earning Money on Your Capital.
We would call attention to the advertisement in this issue of the
Cooperative Investment Company, of Portland, Oregon.
Speaking f this company, the New York Sun of recent date said: "Most
people in the East entertain the delusion that the great wealth accumulated
on the Pacific Coast is mainly the products of the mines. Rigid [sic] facts,
however, tell a different tale. Long before gold or silver was discovered,
the far Northwest enriched many men on the Atlantic seaboard -- namely,
John Jacob Astor, and money, invested in real property, laid the foundation
of the wealth of most of the pioneers. The increase of population had a
great deal more to do with the enriching process than any ability possessed
by the men who owned the land. This condition still exists and will for
years to come."
The success of the Co-operative Investment Company thus far has
demonstrated this plan [printout illegible] [illegible: inception?] a few then
joined themselves together for the purchase of desirable real property, and
the company has grown beyond the expectations of the original members.
Their profits have been sufficient to warrant universal interest in the
company, in its plan and policy.
No property was purchased which was not earning sufficient to
guarantee interest on the money paid for it, and the difference between that
sum and its increased value was the additional pro rata profit for each
Every person who buys a share becomes an owner in all holdings of the
company. Shares may be paid for in full at the par value of $25.00 or
subscribed and paid for at the rate of 50 cents per month on each share. The
company also issues 6% Guaranteed Bonds, running for a period of ten
years, the interest on which is paid semi-annually.
This is an exceptionally great time for investments in Portland and a
number of other places in the Northwest.
Anyone who desires information can address the company, 84 Fourth
street, Portland, Or., when a full line of explanatory literature will be
forwarded free of charge.
W. C. CHASE
It is perfectly natural to admire luck, determination and ambition in a
young man. This, no doubt, is one reason why he whose name heads this
sketch has won so many friends during his residence here.
Mr. Chase was born near Oakland, Or., Jan 1, 1870, remaining there
until 1882, when his parents removed to Idaho, locating on a farm near
Grangeville. Here Mr. Chase spent his time working on the farm and riding
after stock on the range. In the autumn of 1889, Mr. Chase returned to
Oregon, entered the Jefferson Institute, and although placed in a class with
students of 10 and 12 years of age, went to work with a determination to
educate himself. During vacations he worked to earn money to bear his
school expenses the following year. Diptheria having broken up the school,
Mr. Chase returned to his home in Idaho in the fall of 1890. He came to
Oregon again the following year, attended school at Turner for one term,
then accepted a position in a meat market at Independence as a blockman ,
where he worked until fall. In September, 1892, he entered the State
Normal School at Drain, Or., completed two years work the first year, and
graduated June 4, 1894. For the next two years we find him teaching and
studying, his spare time being devoted to the study of Blackstone and Kent's
Commentaries. Having completed a term in Lincoln county, Mr. Chase
went to Jackson county, taught one term in the country, and was chosen
principal of the Phoenix schools. While here he took unto himself a wife,
Miss Inez A. Rich, of Coquille City, one of the most efficient and popular
teachers of Coos county. Mr. Chase was next chosen principal of the
Coquille City schools, where Mrs. Chase was his first assistant. Here he
was liked very much, but count not be persuaded to accept the school again,
his mind being bent upon the study of law. That fall he went to Michigan,
entered the law department of the University of Ann Arbor, from which
institution he graduated in June, 1899, having the degree of LL. B. [sic]
conferred upon him. He then returned to Oregon, took up the practice of
law at Coquille City, and his efforts have been crowned with abundant