MARSHFIELD SUN SPECIAL EDITION, ANNUAL Jan 1, 1901 Part B
This text of this document is in the public domain. You have permission to copy this.
A Special thank you to the Marshfield Sun Printing Museum, Coos Bay, Oregon, for making available the original of the Special Edition for me to copy photos and graphics.
Edited by Marilee Miller
Note: The original tabloid was 30 pages, 3-column-wide. The type is too small to reduce entire pages to fit a computer screen. So here is the complete text, but in a totally new format..
Compilation copyright (c) 2005 by Marilee Miller
L. H. HAZARD
The present efficient clerk of Coos county is a man who stands high among his constituents, and is the fortunate possessor of a host of warm personal friends, who, in admiration of his numerous sterling qualities, would make almost any sacrifice to enhance his success. He was born in Johnson county, Iowa, November 3, 1867. After completing his education in the public schools of Iowa, he joined his father, S. H. Hazard, at Empire City, Coos county, Oregon, and
two years later received the appointment of deputy postmaster under J. M. Arrington at Marshfield, remaining in this position until June, 1888. He then accepted a clerical position with the Southern Oregon Company. Here he remained for the next four years, when he resigned to accept the position of storekeeper in the U. S. commissary department. Two years later Mr. Hazard became bookkeeper for H. Sengstacken at Marshfield. In June, 1896, Mr. Hazard accepted the deputy county clerkship under Ed. Rackliff [sic], and on Mr. Rackliff resigning in December, 1889, was appointed county clerk, and at the next regular election, June, 1900, was elected to fill the same position. Mr. Hazard was married on August 12, 1896, to Miss Mabel E. Hacker, of Empire City. They have one child, a boy.
[2 photos nearly span the 3 columns] [pg. 16]
L. Hazard, County Clerk of Coos County Attorney W. U. Douglas, of Marshfield.
MYRTLE POINT HOTEL
The American people are fast becoming great patrons of the hotel. No matter whether they travel much or little, they love to enjoy the freedom of a well-kept hostlery [sic]. The home residents can enjoy the dinner, supper, or their Sunday meals with as keen a relish as can the traveler or tourist. This change is brought about by the fact that hotels are now made the model of comfort, and to be the landlord of a successful house means to be a man of experience and a close observer of people. Relative to these remarks, we would make mention of Kennedy H. Hanson, landlord at the Myrtle Point Hotel, the mot popular hotel in the city. Mr. Hanson took charge of this hotel August 10, 1900, since which time he has made many improvements, amongst which may be mentioned the very great improvement in the table service, which today is considered equal to any in the county. He also has a fine bathroom, with hot and cold water, which is free to his guests. The house is well-lighted and scrupulously clean, and for the accomuation [sic; = accommodation] of the traveling men he has large sample rooms which are well heated during the winter months. You can book from this hotel on any of the stage lines. An engraving of this hotel appears in this issue. Kennedy H. Hansen was born in Council Bluffs, Iowa, on the 26th day of August, 1858. He remained there until 1884, when he removed to Oregon, locating in Coos county, and for six years taught school. In June,1894, he was
elected assessor and in 1696 re-elected. Mr. Hansen was married the 28th of March, 1886, to Miss Ida Jackson, of California. They have two children living. Mr. Hansen still owns a fine ranch a few miles from Myrtle Point, from which he is able to get fresh vegetables and fruits for his hotel. He affiliates with the Masons.
W. U. DOUGLAS [subhead; bold]
Few persons occupy a higher position in the estimation of the people of Coos county than does W. U. Douglas, of Marshfield. His reputation for integrity and for all other commendable qualities of heart and mind, constitute established credentials of which anyone might well be proud. Mr. Douglas came to Marshfield some ten years ago, during which time he has been engaged in various enterprises, but for the past two years has devoted his entire time to the practice of law. His offices are pleasantly located in the Smith-Sengstacken building.
T. A. NORTH [subhead; bold]
There is no man in Coos county that has done as much for the dairy industry as the subject of this sketch. In fact, it is mostly due to his efforts in this direction that Coos county's butter is today so well and favorably known throughout California and Oregon. Mr. North is more than ordinarily well versed in the dairy business, having devoted the past 24 years of his life to it, during which time he has not only had practical experience throughout the different states where
this industry flourishes, but has made a thorough study of the climate, soil and grasses that go to make a first-class dairy country, and says that Coos county, Oregon, is the very finest country in the United States for the dairy business. This is a broad statement but Mr. North has proven that he believes what he says by establishing one of the best equipped creameries in the state. Mr. North has shown good judgment in the site chosen for his creamery, situated on the bank of
the Coquille river, about midway between Coquille City and Bandon. He is thereby able to accommodate the farmers both on the upper and lower part of the river. By his creamery is one of the largest mountain springs in the county, the water from which is icy cold and as clear as crystal. Mr. North has piped this water into his creamery, and claims that he is able to obtain better results by using this cold water for churning purposes than ever before. His creamery has a
capacity of 800 pounds n hour, and is equipped with all of the latest modern improvements. He has named it the Mountain Springs Dairy, and all butter bearing that label brings the highest market price. His produce is all shipped to San Francisco. An engraving of his creamery appears in this issue.
[full page of photos] [pg. 17]
Lyon's [sic] Saw Mill. Coquille City. Coos County's New Court House. Coquille.
Cloverdale Creamery, Coquille. F. Thompson, Prop. The McCann Saw Mill , 4 miles from Bandon.
Mine Bunkers and Coal Train, O. C. & N. Co., Libby, Or. Oregon Coal & Navigation Co's. Steamer Loading at [obscured on microfilm printout; Bunkers? probably Bunker Hill]
S. B. CATHCART.
Prominent among surveyors and civil engineers of this state is the name of S. B. Cathcart, who was born in Orange county, Indiana, in 1842. When but eleven years old he, in company with his parents, made the trip across the plains to Oregon, locating in Douglas county, where he acquired his preliminary education in the public schools. In 1871 he removed to Coos county, and settled on north Coos river, and in his bachelor's cabin continued the study of civil engineering for two years. In 1873 he received the appointment of U. S. deputy mineral surveyor for the sixth mineral district (Coos and Curry counties). In 1874 Mr. Cathcart was elected county surveyor and was re-elected in 1886, '88, '92, '94, '96, '98, and 1900. Mr. Cathcart served one year in Company A First Oregon Calvary, and for fifteen years was a member of Baker Post No. 8
G. A. R. Mr. Cathcart was married on July 15, 1879, to Miss Dora A. Landreth, of Coos river. In 1890 they removed to Marshfield, where they still reside.
WM. B. CURTIS
As a hamlet grows into a village and then into a town its various offices should be filled by capable men. Among these the position of councilman is one that requires a man of more than ordinary ability to discharge its duties, and to fill it to the satisfaction of his constituents its incumbent must be a man of [microfilm printout illegible] executive ability. Wm. B. Curtis, the subject of this sketch, has proven to be the right man in the right place and as a public officer
he is active and farsighted, as well as affable, gentlemanly, and approachable. Mr. Curtis was born in Maine, August 19, [microfilm printout illegible]. His secondary education was obtained in the public schools and later in the E. M. C. Seminary at Bucksport, Maine. After leaving school Mr. Curtis followed [illegible] four years. In 1874 he came to California, where he was employed on a fruit ranch until 1875, when he decided to come to Oregon, and in 1878 he located in Coos county and one year later accepted the position of hotel clerk at the Blanco hotel, at Marshfield, which position he held until October, 1898 [printout not clear], at which time he received the appointment of post master for Marshfield, which position he still holds. In 1897, Mr. Curtis was elected a member of the city council or "town board," as it [printout unclear. is?] termed in Marshfield, and in 1899 was re-elected to the same position. Mr. Curtis was married to Miss R. Hirst of Marshfield. They have an interesting family of three children, two boys and one girl. Mr.
Curtis affiliates with the I. O. O. F., K. of P., and A. O. U. W.
[ photo, Top right, 2 columns. [pg. 18]
Myrtle Point Hotel. K. H. Hanson, Prop.
[Bottom, 2 photos nearly spanning the 3 columns.]
S. B. Cathcart. Wm. B. Curtis.
[2 photos span nearly all of 3 columns] [pg. 19]
George P. Topping. Walter Sinclair.
GEORGE P. TOPPING [subhead; bold]
Oregonians naturally feel an increased interest in the ambitions and aspirations of a young man who was born and raised in their own state. This fact, however, is not the only reason why he whose name heads this article is so popular among those who know him. His name is a synonym for all that is true and honorable in a man, a fellow citizen and a lawyer, and few if any stand higher socially or morally in the estimation of his neighbors and friends. Mr. Topping was
born on a farm 17 miles from Grants Pass in Josephine county, on the 15th day of August, 1871. He received his preliminary education in the public schools of Grants Pass. After quitting school he accepted the position of general agent in that district for the Earl Fruit Company, of California. He remained in this position until October, 1890, when he went into the fruit business for himself. In 1891, Mr. Topping began reading law. In 1892 Mr. Topping was elected school director and made chairman of the board. In June he was elected justice of the peace, but after serving one year he was compelled, on account of his business, to resign. In 1895 he disposed of his business and removed to Coos county, locating in Bandon, and continuing his study of law, and in 1897 was admitted to the bar. In 1896 Mr. Topping was elected city recorder and has been re-elected three times. In 1898 he was elected a member of the state legislature on the Republican ticket. In 1897 he was elected delegate to the grand lodge of Foresters, which met at The Dalles, and
in 1899 was elected delegate to the grand court, held in Oregon City, at which meeting he was chosen supreme representative of Oregon to the supreme court, held at Detroit, Mich. August 14, 1899. Mr. Topping was married September 21, 1898, to Miss Amy Wilkins, of Coos county. They have one child -- a girl. Mr. Topping affiliates with the Masons, Workmen and Foresters.
WALTER SINCLAIR [subhead; bold]
There is probably no member of the legal profession better or more favorably known throughout Coos county than is the subject of this sketch, by reason of his long and intimate acquaintanceship with its leading men and active participation in all matters of public import that have tended to advance the interests of this section of the state. His enterprise and integrity have made for him friends in all classes of society, and his name is a synonym for honesty and
industry. Walter Sinclair was born on the nineteenth day of November, 1838, in Columbiana county, Ohio. He received his preliminary education in the public schools of Columbiana and the Union School in Highland county. He then accepted the position of teacher in the Highland county public schools, and later taught for [illegible] years in Clinton county. In November, 1861, Mr. Sinclair enlisted in Company D, sixth Ohio Cavalry, which company later became
Company D, Eleventh Ohio Cavalry. On being mustered out in April, '65, he removed to Wyoming and became engaged in the lumber business; but later, being desirous of becoming a lawyer, Mr. Sinclair devoted his evenings to the study of his chosen profession, and in 1882 was admitted to the bar. In 1885 he removed to Oregon, locating in Coquille City, where he again took up his chosen profession. Mr. Sinclair is a Republican in politics, and in 1891 was a member of the Oregon state senate and is at present serving his second term as deputy county attorney. Mr. Sinclair is a Mason and a member of the Grand Army. Miss A. M. Sinclair, his daughter, is at present attending St. Helen's Hall in Portland. In '95 he was again married to Miss K. Stauff, of Coos county, Oregon.
[photo, bottom right, 2 columns] [pg. 19]
Norway Creamery, Coquille, Oregon
RALPH H. ROSA [subhead; bold]
When making a review of the business interest, and incidentally the business men of a city, it is always a pleasure to be able to associate the names of early-timers with the progressive and prosperous business men of the present time. It goes to show what push, energy, and enterprise will accomplish. No better example of this can be shown in Coos county than by referring to the subject of this sketch.
Ralph H. Rosa was born in New York in 1894 [sic] When but four years old his parents removed to Grand Rapids, Mich., at which point he received his preliminary education in the public schools. In 1863 he enlisted in the Thirteenth Michigan battalion of light artillery. On being mustered out in 1864 he entered the Eastman Commercial College, from which institution he graduated in 1865. In 1868 he removed to California, and two years later to Oregon and
homesteaded on Isthmus slough. In 1883 Mr. Rosa embarked in the sawmill business building his mill just 2 1/4 miles from Bandon. In 1896 his mill was destroyed by fire, and in 1898 was rebuilt. It has a capacity of 12,000 feet per day, and is equipped with the latest improved machinery. Mr. Rosa has a reserve of fine white cedar. He employs 20 men in the mill and camp. Most of his output is shipped to San Francisco. Mr. Rosa has been one of the main factors in the upbuilding of Bandon, and has built some of the best business blocks in the town. Mr. Rosa was married in 1877 to Miss Viola Lowe, of Coos county. They have two boys and two girls. Mr. Rosa is a member of the Masons, K. of P., Foresters, and Grand Army.
[2 photos span most of the 3 columns]
R. H. Rosa J. B. Dulley
J. B. DULLEY [subhead; bold]
No man in Coos county is held in higher regard by his many friends and acquaintances and certainly no one is more deserving of such esteem, than is J. B. Dulley, one of Coos county's oldest residents. His honor and worth as a citizen and a public spirited man, have always been recognized, while his business ability, coupled with his natural foresight and shrewdness, have made him successful inmost of his undertakings. J. B. Dulley was born in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania,
June 30, 1834, where he received his preliminary education in the public schools, and later attended the Bethany College in Brook county, Virginia. In 1850 Mr. Dulley removed to San Francisco, where he remained but a short while before coming to Oregon, where he followed mining until 1854, when he came to Coos county and in 1861 became engaged in steamboating on Catchen [sic] slough and Coos river. The following year he disposed of his steamboat and established a general merchandise store at Sumner. Mr. Dulley was also the owner of the townsite of Sumner, which he located on part of his 160-acre farm. In 1862 he sold his mercantile business and accepted a position with H. H. Luse, and later with the S. O. Co., at Sumner, until they retired from business in 1894. In 1899 he removed to Coquille City. Mr.
Dulley was a member of the state legislature in 1875, and in 1855-6 was the first assessor of Coos county. He was elected to his present position of county treasurer in June, 1900. Mr. Dulley was married in 1876 to Miss E. Higley, of Sumner. They have a family of three girls and five boys.
LYON'S [sic] SAWMILL. [subhead; bold.]
One of the most complete and up-to-date sawmills in Coos county is boasted on the banks of the Coquille river at Coquille City. It was just 15 years ago that the late J. A. Lyons bought this property from Binger Hermann, at which time he had a capacity of 8,000 feet per day. Mr. Lyons on taking over the plant at once increased the capacity to 20,000 feet, and within the past two years, under the management of Mr. Perry, the administrator, its capacity has been increased
to 40,000 feet per day. This mill has 400 feet of water frontage and sufficient dockage to load four schooners at once. They employ between 50 and 60 men at their mill and logging camps all the year around. They have 3,00 acres of good timber, all of which is accessible to tide water. The machinery is all up to date, and both the yards and mill are amply equipped for fighting fire. The Lyons estate also runs one of the largest general merchandise stores in Coquille City, and
is under the direct management of Mr. Perry.
CRANBERRY CULTURE. [subhead; bold]
Coos county is the home of the cultivation of the cranberries in Oregon, a fact of importance but not generally known. The industry was first established here some sixteen years ago by C. D. McFarlain [sic], formerly of Sacramento, California, who has made a complete success of the business and ships annually from his marshes on North slough some 2,000 bushels of this delicious fruit to San Francisco.
Since Mr. McFarlain's successful achievement a number of other parties have embarked in this branch of industry, among them most notably being Charles Getty, who has several acres of vines set out at his Sunny Meadows farm on South slough. The location is an ideal one so situated that the marshes can be easily flooded in case of frosty weather. Berries from these bogs took the premium at the district fair held in Marshfield the past year. They were exceptionally large, of a fine flavor, and handsome color.
J. S. COKE, JR.
Among the representative members of the Coos county bar the name of J. S. Coke, Jr. must be given a leading place, having, by virtue of natural ability and practical training, attained a position in his profession which many an older man might well be proud to occupy. Mr. Coke was born in Morristown, Tenn., August 21, 1867. When but a lad his parents removed to Oregon, locating in Coos county, where Mr. Coke received his preliminary education in the public schools and later read law under J. W. Bennett, of Marshfield, and Whalley, Strahan & Pipes, of Portland, where he also entered the law department of the State University. In1892 he returned to Marshfield and began the practice of his chosen profession. In 1896 he was elected City Attorney, which position he still holds. Mr. Coke is also attorney for the C. B. R. & E. R. R. & N. Co.
He takes an active interest in politics, but has never sought political office, preferring to devote his time to his law practice, and although a Southerner by birth and reared a Democrat, he did not agree with his party in its financial policy of 1896 and 1900, and when that party advocated hauling down the American flag and surrendering the Phillippine islands at the demand of an avowed enemy, he renounced his allegiance to his old party and cast his ballot for McKinley
and Roosevelt. Mr. Coke affiliates with the I. O. O. F. and K. of P.
W. S. CHANDLER [subhead; bold]
Live, wide-awake, and progressive business men are what is wanted in every community. Coos County has such an individual in the person of W.S. Chandler, receiver for the United States court of the C. B. R..& E. R. R. & N. Co. and manager of the Beaver Hill Coal Company. Mr. Chandler is a cautious, shrewd business manager, and ever alert to the best interest of his employers. While he has only resided in this section a few years, Mr. Chandler is well versed in the greatness of the resources of this county and has firm faith in the future progress and development of the county. The prominent position he occupies leaves Coos County’s future as much in his hands as any other single individual. His fair and honorable business dealings has [sic] won for him the high esteem of the large number of working men under his supervision and the community as well.
[2 photos span most of 3 columns] [pg. 21]
J. S. Coke W. S. Chandler
HOLLAND BROS. [subhead; bold]
A review of the leading industries of Marshfield would not be complete without a description of the Holland Bros. Boat Building Company. Established in Marshfield in 1894 by W. W. and P. B. Holland. Their first gasoline launch was turned out in 1896, since then they have built and sold four more, and are at present at work on another 40-foot launch. They have also built quite a number of small row and sail boats, which on account of the well known reputation this company enjoys for excellency of workmanship and fair dealing they have had no trouble in disposing as soon as built. They also keep on hand a limited number of pleasure boats, which can be rented for a nominal sum either by the hour, day or week, also a fine assortment of guns, fishing tackle, rods, seines, nets, etc., both for rent or sale. Their building is 28 x 100 feet with 50 feet water front. A snap shot of the interior of this place will appear in this issue.
W. W. Holland, the senior member of this firm, was born in coos county, Oregon, in 1868. After finishing his education he worked in the ship yards until 1894 when, in connection with his brother, P. B., he established their present business. In 1897, leaving his brother in charge of their business in Marshfield, he made a trip to Alaska, and located a ship yard at Lake Bennett, where at an expense of $5,000 per month he built 60 scows and 100 small boats. In 1899 he sold out and returned to Marshfield and has since then devoted his entire time to the Marshfield business.
CLOVERDALE CREAMERY. [subhead; bold]
Coos county, Oregon, has become famous throughout Oregon and California for the excellency of its butter. Not only does it produce more butter than any other county in Oregon, but on account of its purity and exceptional fine flavor it commands a higher price in the markets today than any other butter manufactured in the state. Amongst those who have made Coos county's butter famous may be mentioned Mr. F. Thomson, operator and owner of the Cloverdale Creamery, which is situated on the banks of the Coquille river, about four miles above the county seat, and is one of the best equipped and managed creameries in the county. This creamery has a capacity of 700 pounds per hour, and was started May 1, 1900. Only the most approved methods are employed, and the output so far this season has been 8,000 pounds,
all of which has been shipped to San Francisco. Mr. Thomson is one of Coos county's most progressive citizens, and is always found amongst those who are not only willing to boost their own individual interests, but one willing to put their shoulders to the wheel and assist in turning it for the interest of their county, and it is today owing to just such men as he that Coos county is making such rapid strides both in wealth and population.
PATRICK HENNESSEY [subhead; bold]
Self-made men are a scarcity in most communities, et we have many in Coos county who are making their mark in the world. Among the number is Patrick Hennessey, superintendent of the Oregon Coal & Navigation Company's coal mines at Libby. Mr. Hennessey came to these parts some 15 years ago and accepted a position as a miner in these mines. He was determined to get to the front, and by constant attention to duty and faithfulness to his employers, Mr. Hennessey
gradually ascended the ladder until he occupies the present important position. His company employs upwards of 200 men at their mines; they also operate three miles of railroad to carry their coal to their bunkers on Coos bay, cuts of which will be seen elsewhere in this issue. In the past three years this company has opened up a new mine that is noted as a dividend payer, and the work was done entirely under the supervision of the present superintendent.
Mr. Hennessey is thoroughly alive to the best interests of Coos county and is one of her prominent and progressive citizens.
[2 photos span nearly the 3 columns] [pg. 21]
P. Hennessey W. C. Chase
CO-OPERATIVE INVESTMENTS. [subhead; bold]
This is the Best and Safest Plan of Earn- [sub-subhead; bold]
ing Money on Your Capital.
We would call attention to the advertisement in this issue of the Cooperative Investment Company, of Portland, Oregon.
Speaking f this company, the New York Sun of recent date said: "Most people in the East entertain the delusion that the great wealth accumulated on the Pacific Coast is mainly the products of the mines. Rigid [sic] facts, however, tell a different tale. Long before gold or silver was discovered, the far Northwest enriched many men on the Atlantic seaboard -- namely, John Jacob Astor, and money, invested in real property, laid the foundation of the wealth of most of the
pioneers. The increase of population had a great deal more to do with the enriching process than any ability possessed by the men who owned the land. This condition still exists and will for years to come."
The success of the Co-operative Investment Company thus far has demonstrated this plan [printout illegible] [illegible: inception?] a few then joined themselves together for the purchase of desirable real property, and the company has grown beyond the expectations of the original members. Their profits have been sufficient to warrant universal interest in the company, in its plan and policy.
No property was purchased which was not earning sufficient to guarantee interest on the money paid for it, and the difference between that sum and its increased value was the additional pro rata profit for each stockholder. Every person who buys a share becomes an owner in all holdings of the company. Shares may be paid for in full at the par value of $25.00 or subscribed and paid for at the rate of 50 cents per month on each share. The company also issues 6% Guaranteed Bonds, running for a period of ten years, the interest on which is paid semi-annually.
This is an exceptionally great time for investments in Portland and a number of other places in the Northwest.
Anyone who desires information can address the company, 84 Fourth street, Portland, Or., when a full line of explanatory literature will be forwarded free of charge.
W. C. CHASE
It is perfectly natural to admire luck, determination and ambition in a young man. This, no doubt, is one reason why he whose name heads this sketch has won so many friends during his residence here.
Mr. Chase was born near Oakland, Or., Jan 1, 1870, remaining there until 1882, when his parents removed to Idaho, locating on a farm near Grangeville. Here Mr. Chase spent his time working on the farm and riding after stock on the range. In the autumn of 1889, Mr. Chase returned to Oregon, entered the Jefferson Institute, and although placed in a class with students of 10 and 12 years of age, went to work with a determination to educate himself. During vacations he worked to earn money to bear his school expenses the following year. Diptheria having broken up the school, Mr. Chase returned to his home in Idaho in the fall of 1890. He came to Oregon again the following year, attended school at Turner for one term, then accepted a position in a meat market at Independence as a blockman , where he worked until fall. In September, 1892, he entered the State Normal School at Drain, Or., completed two years work the first year, and graduated June 4, 1894. For the next two years we find him teaching and studying, his spare time being devoted to the study of Blackstone and Kent's Commentaries. Having completed a term in Lincoln county, Mr. Chase went to Jackson county, taught one term in the country, and was chosen principal of the Phoenix schools. While here he took unto himself a wife, Miss Inez A. Rich, of Coquille City, one of the most efficient and popular teachers of Coos county. Mr. Chase was next chosen principal of the Coquille City schools, where Mrs. Chase was his first assistant. Here he was liked very much, but count not be persuaded to accept the school again, his mind being bent upon the study of law. That fall he went to Michigan, entered the law department of the University of Ann Arbor, from which institution he graduated in June, 1899, having the degree of LL. B. [sic] conferred upon him. He then returned to
Oregon, took up the practice of law at Coquille City, and his efforts have been crowned with abundant success.
E. A. ANDERSON [subhead; bold]
The present Mayor of Marshfield, Mr. E. A. Anderson, is eminently qualified to occupy the highest office within the gift of her citizens [sic]. His capable direction of municipal affairs has clearly proven his executive ability, and it is evident to all that he is the right man in the right place. As a public official he is always affable, gentlemanly and approachable. Mr. E. A. Anderson was born at St. Peters, Prince Edwards [sic] Island, May 20, 1842. In 1868 he removed to California and one year later to Marshfield. In 1878 he became engaged in the livery business, and has followed it ever since, and today has one of the finest livery businesses in Coos county. In December, 1899, he was elected Mayor of Marshfield.
[2 photos span nearly all of 3 columns] [pg. 23]
E. A. Anderson, Mayor of Marshfield J. L. Ferrey, Prop. Blanco Hotel, Marshfield
THE WHOLE AREA OF COOS COUNTY
UNDERLAID WITH COAL. [subhead;bold]
Three Distinct Basins -- 26 1/2 feet of Work-
able Coal -- The Spreckels Ex-
. tensive Interests. [sub-subhead; bold]
Coal underlies nearly the whole area of Coos county. There are three beds of coal lying in distinct basins and belong to what is known as the Eocene formation. There are four seams, ranging in width from 2 1/2 feet to 6 1/2 feet in thickness, the workable strata or productive stratas aggregates 21 1/2 feet in width. The above are but brief statements of the facts of one of Coos county's grandest resources and what has attracted capitalists to this section by the scores, more particularly the past season, and prospecting on a large scale, the most noted of which is that now being carried on by the Beaver Hill Coal Company, under the supervision of W. S. Chandler, a practical mining engineer, and whose opinion on mining projects is authority wherever he is known, Mr. Chandler having successfully operated several of the largest coal mines in British Columbia. His company now have [sic] a diamond drill in operation and intend to go down to a depth of 1000 feet. This work is being carried on in a thoroughly practical manner, and if developments are satisfactory a genuine coal excitement is in store for Coos. The J. D. Spreckels and Brothers Company, of San Francisco, are the principal stockholders in the Beaver Hill Coal Company, which institution has under bond 5,000 acres of timber and coal land in these parts and located along the line of their railroad, which is to be tested and devoleped [sic] in the near future.
With the work now going on at the Beaver Hill mine, it is the intention of the company to have a production o f coal by the fall of 1901 of 500 tons per day which will be carried to San Francisco by their own steamers.
ALFORD [sic] JOHNSON. [subhead; bold]
Mr. A. Johnson was born in Sweden in 1845. When but 10 years old his parents emigrated to the United States and located in Chicago, Ill. In 1858 he removed to Michigan, where he followed the lumber business until 1889. Twenty-one years of this time he was with the Stromach Lumber Company of Manisle, the last 11 years of which he was superintendent of the company. In 1889 he removed to California and started the Usal [sic] Redwood Lumber Company
in Mendocino county. In 1898 he disposed of his interest in Mendocino county, and came to Coos county, Oregon, and took charge of his present plant. In 1899 Mr. D. S. Albert, formerly with the Cotteneba Lumber Company, in Mendocino county, Cal., became a member of the firm. Mr. Johnson was married in 1869 to Miss Georgie Ann McClintock, of Wisconsin, to whom have been born three sons and four daughters, the eldest child being Mrs. Albert. Alford [sic] Johnson, Jr., is foreman at the mill. Mr. Johnson affiliates with the R. A. M, K. T., A. F. of A. M., and A. O. U. W.
HOTEL COQUILLE [subhead; bold]
This is the only first-class hotel in Coquille, and was erected in 289 by a stock company, and purchased by Mr. John Curren in July, 1899. It is right in the center of the city. It has 25 large, home-like rooms on the second and third floors. The main office is well arranged, supplied, as it is, with all the conveniences usually found in a first-class house; also three sample rooms for commercial travelers. The dining-room is on the ground floor, and is furnished in a tasty
manner, and the table is supplied with all the market affords, and is deservedly the popular resort of the traveling people.
JOHNSON & CO. SAWMILL.
Johnson & Co.'s sawmill, of whose plant we present an engraving, is one of the best equipped and managed sawmills in Coos county. In 1898, when Mr. Alford [sic] Johnson bought this mill, it had a capacity of only 16,000 feet per day; at present it has 30,000. Then it employed 15 men, while today they give direct employment to over 50 men and indirectly to a great many more. It is equipped with all of the latest improved machinery, including double circular and rip saw, surface matchers, stickers, trimmers, etc. The main line of the Marshfield & Myrtle Point Railroad runs directly through their yards, which are situated on the Coquille river just two miles above Coquille City, thus giving them both rail and water facilities for shipping purposes. On the river front they have
dockage for one and one-half million feet of lumber, and vessels for San Francisco and other ports are loaded direct from their docks. They also conduct a general mercantile store, which is under the efficient management of Mr. D. S. Albert, the junior member of this firm.
NORWAY CREAMERY. [subhead; bold]
The above is one of the best conducted creameries in the county. It is located on the Coquille river at Norway, Coos county, and although it has only been established a short time, it has won a name for itself amongst the dairy industry [sic] that many of the older creameries would be pleased to have. This is no doubt due to the efforts of its owner, Mr. Geo. S. Davis, whose uprightness and fair dealings have won him friends on all sides. An engraving of his plant appears
in this issue.
PIONEER DAYS IN COOS . [subhead; bold]
Empire City, The Oldest Town in the
County. [sub-subhead; bold]
In 1855 William V. Wells made a pilgrimage with a companion through this section of Oregon and afterwards wrote a story of his journey for Harper's, from which a few extracts follow.
Empire City. [sub-subhead; bold]
"Remounting [illegible; we?] struggled along through the labyrinth of trunks, until at sundown a slight rise in the ground gave us a glimpse of daylight through the forest. A citizen of Empire City suddenly appeared and paused aghast in his route at sight of two strangers. The grip on his trusty rifle was a little tightened as we approach, but seeing we were immigrants, and probably not connected with any of the local issues of Coos Bay country, he shouted:
" ' Dern my skin, but when I heered the brush a crackin' I thought I had ketched that cow at last. How are ye, strangers -- bound to Coos?'
"We reply, and after a brief interchange of news, we pursued our way. He pointed out, as we parted, the graves of five children who had been crushed by the falling of a tree some twelve months before.
"After the discovery of the coal deposits, there was a rush of some 20 families to the mineral region, most of whom cleared and claimed, under the law of 1847, 640 acres of land each. To avoid the danger of falling trees, it is necessary to burn and fell all suspicious ones within a few hundred yards of the dwelling. One night the father heard crackling in the direction of a giant pine which had been steadily consuming under the action of fire for a week past. The family was
asleep but like lightning the danger flashed upon the settler, and arousing his wife, they seized two of the children, and hurried the bewildered little flock into the night air. But the warning had come too late. As they issued from the hut, the tree -- a monstrous tower of wood, little lower than the cross of Trinity Church in New York -- toppled from its center and fell to the earth. The cabin was directly in a line with its descent, and was smashed to atoms. The little mound, over which clamber a few blackberry vines, marks the lonely grave.
'As we neared the edge of the forest, the regular strokes of an ax resounding in echoes through the shadowy silence, showed we were nearing our place of destination. The horses, now quite worn down with the wearisome route, pricked up their ears at the sound, and quickening their pace, we issued from the woods upon the banks of a beautiful and spacious bay, stretching some three miles directly beyond us, and about five in the right and left. The surrounding woods were clearly depicted in its glassy surface, while the swelling tide swept nobly up to the spot where we stood. It was the famous Coos Bay, of which some indistinct accounts had reached San Francisco, but which, passed over in the reconnaissance of the United States Coast Survey, had remained unexplored and almost unknown. Indeed, no maps or charts, save the one afterward made by myself from rough sketches, exist of this fine sheet of water.
"To the right lay the little town of Empire City -- every collection of dwellings in Oregon and California is a City -- composed of some 30 houses, mostly of boards, and from the midst of which a half-finished wharf projected into the bay. A hasty glance at the scene sufficed: for our animals were already gazing wistfully at the place, with visions of corn or barley, doubtless, rising in the dim perspective [sic]. So with as brisk a gait as we could assume, we entered the town
-- the entire population completely electrified by our arrival, and crowding around us as curious specimens of humanity, which in truth, we were.
"Our friend, Mr. Rogers, hastened out to meet us; and rescuing his visitors from the crowd, hurried us into his store, where we were not long in making ourselves at home.
"Behold us now before a crackling fire of pine-knots, alternately sipping the contents of a copious bowl of whiskey punch -- and such whiskey, shade of Baccus! and detailing to the attentive listeners the news from ' Frisco ', as San Francisco is here familiarly termed. The mail facilities between Coos Bay and the great commercial metropolis of the Pacific are extremely uncertain and by no means regular, so our arrival was a matter of the greatest moment.
"Mr. Rogers' store is the commercial and political headquarters of Coos Bay. The stout proprietor himself, a rosy-cheeked, educated Vermonter, has held some of the most important offices in the gift of the people [sic], and his hearty manners and good natured laughs have won for him the reputation of the most popular man at Coos. The store is the resort of the inhabitants for many miles around on Sundays, when, seated on the counter, they discuss the most
important tropics, and select goods from the assortment of our host. The glance around the shelves revealed the extent of his stock, which, as a racy informant remarked in answer to my look of inquiry, consisted of ' green groceries ' -- i. e., black thread and vinegar!
"As the fire lighted up the interior of the rough dwelling, and brought into bold relief the stalwart forms of men whose tastes and occupations had led them into this corner of the world for a livelihood, it was difficult to realize that four years ago the bare existence of such a place as Coos Bay was unknown.
"The evening wore away with songs and stories, jolly great pipes of tobacco black as sooty Acheron were smoked and refitted, more logs were piled upon the fire, and rough jokes flew around the merry circle. At last, weary with the ride, and perhaps a little overcome by the hospitality of our entertainers, we were shown to a species of shed, the sign over the
door of which read thus:
PIONEER HOTEL -- DONUTS -- WOM
And denoted the sole public house of Empire City. Here, we addressed ourselves to sleep and after a round twelve hours, came out on the following day, brisk as larks and prepared to see the lions.
"Coos Bay is about twenty miles in length and from three to four in width. It is entered from the ocean -- or, rather, the ocean discharges [pprrintout illegible] habitants [printout illegible] by a narrow channel, perhaps half a mile wide from land to land. The navigation is somewhat intricate, but not dangerous. There is depth of water for vessels loaded to ten or twelve feet, and numerous cargoes of coal have been taken to San Francisco -- a distance of about four hundred miles.
The mines are some twenty miles from the bar or entrance, and facilities already exist for the rapid loading of vessels. The coal, which extends over a country some thirty miles by twenty is abundant, accessible, and of good quality. As yet only a few banks have been opened. An immense trade -- that of supplying the Pacific coast with coal -- is destined to spring up between this point and California.
"During our four months stay at Coos and vicinity, we took frequent advantage of the numerous offers of our acquaintance to make excursions across and up the bay, sometimes to join in the excitement of the chase, salmon fishing, or surveying the interesting country about us. The scenery around the bay is made up of deep, silent pine and fir forests, often relieved with the gayer-tinted foliage of the birch and maple. Toward the ocean, where the northwest winds prevailing in the summer months have heaped up symmetrical mounds of sand, all traces of vegetation disappear and a desolate expanse of white mingles in the horizon with the blue line of the sea. An incessant roar, mellowed by the distance into a hoarse murmur, marks where the surf chafes among the rocks skirting the entrance to the bay.
"Days and weeks may pass away, and if you go beyond the small circle of civilization around the town you will meet with no living thing but the passive Indian squaw dragging her load of fish to the cabin, or some startled wild beast, quickly darting out of sight into the depths of the woods."
Pgs 25-28 [are ads, and not copied here]
Indian Dance and Burial. [sub-subhead; bold] [M. note: continued from above.]
An Indian dance or merry-making having been announced near the bay, the whole available population turned out to assist at it. Entering an open space in the woods toward midnight, we found about thirty braves and squaws gathered around an immense fire of pine logs, the flames from which lit up their grotesque accoutrements [sic] and hideously painted faces, while the surrounding forest echoing their monotonous [sic] chants, was dimly illumined with the red
glare. For a space of twenty yards around the fire the scene was a blaze of light, but from that point the woods receded into an impenetrable gloom. We dismounted, and fastening our horses to the limbs, entered at once among them. Here an old squaw, whose leathern [sic] hide, naked from the waist up, lay like the folds of oiled parchment over her attenuated form, sat rocking herself to and fro, mumbling an indescribable jargon. She was stone blind. There a bevy of
young ones, tattooed and bedaubed beyond all descriptions, joined their voices to a jumping, jolting dance, hand in hand, back and forth, toward and away from the fire. Beyond were seated as near to the flames as the heat would allow, a row of Indians all fantastically dressed, beating time to the chant with sticks, which they held crossways in their hands, and at given signals rattled nervously together.
"Several old chiefs seemed to act as leaders in the [printout illegible; festivities?] and at their signal a wild, unearthly yell arose, which, but for the presence of my companions, I might easily have construed into a war-whoop. All were in motion; rocking, dancing, jumping or stepping, in uncouth gait, to the time of the music or chant. Perspiration flowed in streams, and the decidedly careless display f female animated nature would have driven less interested, and perhaps more
scrupulous, spectators than ourselves from the scene. As the flames roared their chorus with the hideous noise of these creatures, it seemed like a dance of fiends incarnate in some orgie of Pandemonium [sic]. Hanging up in elongated wicker baskets, so closely woven as to be water-proof, were some dozen papooses strapped to the straight back of these portable cradles, and nothing but the head of the little imps visible from among the fire and dirt.
"An Indian burial is scarcely a less remarkable scene. Formerly the body was burned, and the wife of the corpse killed and interred with the body. This, and numerous other like horrible practices, have been summarily abolished by the settlers. When one of the community begins to show signs of dissolution (which is usually hastened by the sweating or other sanitary process to which the sick are submitted) [sic], the whole tribe commences a terrible outcry which generally lasts through the dying agony of the sufferer. The body is then stretched upon the ground and sprinkled with sand and the ashes of sea-weed or kelp. The legs are forcibly doubled up toward the head, and the ankles tied as closely as the rigidity of the corpse will permit, to the neck. The relatives of the deceased shave their heads and place the hair upon the body -- thus rolled into a heap -- together wwiith some shells and nutritive [sic] roots for the dead to subsist upon.
The body is then lowered into the grave, which is made of a length to accomodate the dimunition [sic] of size to which the defunct has been submitted. The earth being thrown in, the whole tribe jump alternately upon it until the ground becomes quite solid. The baskets, clothing, spears and all personal property is formed into a heap, packed upon the grave, and covered securely with sticks and stones. With a chief, the ceremonies are more impressive and lengthy."
.[ row of widely separated dots, bold]
Fashionable Ball. [subhead; bold]
"For some weeks previous to Christmas great preparations had been made for the observance of that time-honored anniversary. Now, in Oregon, where people reside ten miles apart, and call a man neighbor who lives a half a day's journey away, it is not so easy to make up a fashionable party, for sundry reasons, as in Fifth avenue, or any other of the 'close settlements' in New York. If a hop is to take place, weeks must be given to prepare in: the 'store clothes' taken out,
aired and brushed, old bonnets furbished up, horses driven in from distant pasture, and saddles made ready. Then the nearest settlement must be applied to for a proper amount of whisky and sugar, raisins and flour. But on the occasion above alluded to, great efforts were made to ave matters go off with eclat. Deacon I.-----, residing on the ocean beach, about twenty miles to the southward of Coos Bay, and known as the most liberal, warm-hearted old gentleman of
Southern Oregon, had appropriated, some time in advance, the right to give the Christmas ball. It was to last two days and two nights. Oceans of whisky, hills of venison and beef, no end of pies and 'sech like.' The ladies of all Coos county were to be there, and a fiddler from the distant point of Port Orford itself engaged. To this feast did all hands look forward with secret longing and hope. Two days beforehand the exodus for Deacon I.-----'s began to take place,
and among the invited guests were the two 'Frisco chaps,' i. e., H----- and myself. And on Christmas eve the ball commenced. There were gay roystering blades [sic] from Port Orford, select men and distinguished individuals from all over the country, and belles from everywhere. Such a recherhe [sic] affair had not occurred since the settlement of the territory. For two nights and days the festivities continued; and after all the dancing, riding, drinking, singing and laughing -- and all this without sleeping, and with a determination to 'never give up' -- there were buxom forms and brilliant eyes that dared us to another break-down!
"I snap my fingers at all civilized Miss Nancys henceforth and forever. Give me, for the essence of fun and the physical ability to carry it out, a corn-fed, rosy-cheeked, bouncing Oregon lass, with eyes bright as the rivers that sparkle merrily on their way to the sea from those snow-clad mountains, and hearts as light as the fresh breezes of that northern climate! I may forget the Central American excitement; sooner or lated [sic] I shall have forgotten the birth of an heir to
the French throne; the siege of Sebastopol bay [sic] fade away, but that Oregon ball will be ever fresh in my memory."
[row of widely separated dots, bold]
Coal Deposits Then Known. [subhead; bold]
"The coal deposits of Coos Bay should be the subject of a separate article, and require more space than could be devoted to them in the limits of these pages. A report, recently published by myself in San Francisco, contains the outlines of what will doubtless become hereafter widely discussed. That the importation of coal to California via Cape Horn from Europe and the Eastern states must eventually cease, few who are acquainted with the facts wills deny. A space of country about the size of Rhode Island is a solid bed of coal, outcropping wherever a ravine or break occurs.
The veins are from 6 to 10 feet thick. It has been satisfactorily tested and proved to be well adapted to steamship purposes. It is in quality not unlike the Scotch cannel [sic], but lighter, and when unmixed with foreign substances burns to clear red ashes. But these are only a few of the boundless treasures of the region of the Pacific, and which, as the country becomes populated, are destined to taech [sic] the inhabitants of the extreme West to rely on their own resources.
California and Oregon produce nearly every article necessary to the comfort and subsistence of man, and it needs but the construction of the great avenue of population – the national railroad – to bring the country to the pinnacle of greatness and wealth. Shall we live to see it built?"
BLANCO HOTEL. [subhead; bold]
To the weary traveler, who may perhaps be begrimed with dust or nearly frozen with the cold, nothing is more welcome than a comfortable hotel with a pleasant landlord and a cheerful fire. To the traveler such a hotel is a godsend, and a hearty welcome is sometimes as beneficial as a hearty meal, and to all who travel into Coos county we say by no means forget to stop at Marshfield, and call on the genial proprietor of the Blanco Hotel, where you will be cordially welcomed and royally treated. This is the only first-class hotel in Marshfield, and is under the able management of the owner, J. L. Ferrey. It is right in the center of the city. Its sleeping rooms are large and homelike. The office is well arranged, supplied, as it is, with all the conveniences usually found in a first-class house. The dining-room is large and is furnished in a tasty manner, and the table is supplied with all the market affords. No expense has been spared in furnishing the house, and its immense patronage proves the popularity.
[Compiler's note 2006. 2 items on Chandler appeared in this edition]
WM. S. CHANDLER. [subhead; bold]
Among the most highly respected and estimable citizens of Coos county the name of William S. Chandler is always mentioned. A man of most exemplary habits, of warm sympathies, and who is ever willing to extend the hand of charity to any deserving cause or worthy individual, he has won a reputation for honesty, probity and sobriety that no words of ours can add to, and of which he is in every way deserving. Born in San Francisco on the 18th day of January, 1858, in
1878 he removed to Oregon, where he followed mining until 1880, when he removed to Washington and later to British Columbia, where he remained until 1899, when he came to Coos county and took charge of the Beaver Hill mines. On December 18th, 1899, he became general manager of the Coos county railroad. Both of these positions he has filled with
not only credit to himself, but to the benefit of every property holder in the county. Mr. Chandler was married in 1882 to Miss Nellie Irving, of British Columbia.
BANDON WOOLEN MILLS.
Probably no enterprise inaugurated in Coos county during the past eight years gives employment to more people or is more thoroughly appreciated than the Bandon Woolen Mills. It is a “three-set mill”, and employs from 45 to 55 people, with a payroll of $1,750 per month. This mill makes a specialty of flannels and all-wool blankets. Their blankets have gained for this mill a reputation with the trade second to none in the state. These mills were established in Bandon in
1893 by T.W. Clark, H. Z. Burkhart and F.E. Palmer. One year later Mr. Clark bought out Mr. Burkhart’s interest.
FARMERS' CO-OPERATIVE COMMISSION
COMPANY (INC). [subhead; bold]
Dealers in All Kinds of Produce, Feed and
Grain, 125 Front Street.
Portland, Or., Jan. 3, 1901.
Farmers of Oregon:
We wish to call your attention to the Farmers' Co-Operative Commission Company. It was organized for the purpose of marketing the produce [printout illegible] farmer at [printout illegible] is incorporated under the laws of Oregon [printout illegible] has set out [printout illegible] business justly and fairly between the producer and the consumer.
It is to belong to the farmers themselves, be managed for their best interest and be controlled by them. They will own the stock, elect the officers of the company and control its affairs. Belonging to the farmers, there will be no desire for the farmers to make a profit off of themselves; therefore, it will be run at cost to members. Many farmers complain, and justly, that the commission men take advantage of them, selling their produce on a high market, report it sold on a low market and thus cheat them out of 10 to 15 per cent on many of their shipments, besides
charging their regular commission.
The Farmers' Co-Operative Commission Company, being composed of farmers will never rob or defraud its members. They will always get exactly what their produce brings on the market minus 2 1/2 per cent, the exact cost of marketing. The books of the company will always be open to all members alike, and any one shipping produce to its store can find out exactly what their produce sold for by examining the books.
A commission of 2 1/2 percent will be charged for handling produce, which is 50 per cent less than is charged by commission merchants, and at the end of every six months a dividend will be declared, which will return to members all money thus accumulated over and above actual economical running expenses.
In addition to the above advantages the company will act as purchasing agent for its members free of cost, thus securing any and all goods desired by them at wholesale prices.
Why constantly pay 5 per cent to commission men, many of whom are unscrupulous to sell your produce for you and beat you out of from 10 to 25 per cent of the price of your products? Why pay $10 to a "home supply association" to buy goods for you when by becoming a member of the Farmers' Co-Operative Commission Company you can get your produce handled at cost, without stealage [sic], and buy your goods at wholesale prices, without paying [printout
illegible] the privilege?
The incorporators of the Farmers' Co-Operative Commission Company are well known reputable business men, well able to conduct the business until the farmers subscribe to the stock of the company and elect a new set of officers. They know that upon the prosperity of the farmer depends the prosperity of everybody else, and they desire to see the farmer prosper. That is why they have undertaken to help the Farmers' Co-Operative Company along.
We solicit your careful attention to this matter, and trust you will become a member of the company. If you wish to become a member all that is necessary is for you to subscribe to the stock of the company and you can pay your subscription either in money or produce. Any consignment you may send in will be sold and the money received for same placed in your credit, and stock to that amount issued you if you so desire.
Consignments of produce from non-members will be handled at the regular 5 per cent commission, and no dividends can go to any but members, as all dividends must be declared on stock. The larger number of shares you have, the greater will be your dividends.
Don't procrastinate, but become a member of the Farmers' Co-Operative Company immediately and share in the benefits of having your produce handled at cost, your goods bought at wholesale, and in the profits arising from handling the produce of non-members.
Address all communications and consign all produce to the
FARMERS' COOPERATIVE COM. CO.
By D. Miller, Secretary.
P. S. A representative of the company will call upon you and explain the workings of the company more fully and take your order for stock.
E. DYER. [subhead; bold]
The subject of this sketch was born near Port Orford July [printout illegible; 14?]. He received his education in the public schools of Marshfield. After finishing school he accepted a position in a hardware store in Marshfield. In December 1885, he was appointed receiver for Averel [sic] & Albertson's general merchandise store at Bandon. Later his father bought a half interest in the business and two years later Elbert bought Mr. Averel [sic] out, and in 1893 sold to
G. W. Williams & Co. Mr. Dyer then removed to California, bought land, set out fruit trees and then returned to Bandon. In 1895 Williams & Co. failed, and he and his father again became owners, but in a short time disposed of the store and shortly afterwards established a broom-handle factory, thus being the first plant of this kind built on the Pacific coast for the exclusive manufacture of broom handles. Since then Mr. Dyer has built three other mills, all of them being within five miles of Bandon.
(back cover, ads)
Home 1901Sun - part A text-only free copy to newspaper menu
back to 1901 Annual with photos Sun 1891 1892 1897 1903-4 1906